Stephen Koen is a partner at Bisset Boehmke McBlain and has more than 30 years’ experience.
Stephen joined Francis Thompson & Aspden in 1985 as a candidate attorney. In 1987 he was admitted as an attorney and appointed as an associate at Bisset Boehmke McBlain. In 1990 he became a partner at the firm.
Stephen has acted as Commissioner of the Small Claims Court (Cape Town) and Acting Judge, Western Cape High Court on several occasions since 2007.
Stephen has vast experience in general litigation, specialising in financial, administrative and constitutional law for at least ten years.
He has acted in a number of high-profile reported cases, including:
Instructing attorney in the following reported SCA matters
- Saayman NO v Eerste Nationale Bank van Suidelike Afrika Bpk 1997 (4) SA 302 (SCA)
- Vassen v Law Society Cape of Good Hope 1998 (4) SA SA 532 (SCA)
- Rosemann v General Council of the Bar of SA 2004 (1) SA 568 (SCA)
- Budricks v Law Society, Cape of Good Hope 2003 (2) SA SA 11 (SCA)
- Prince v President, Cape Law Society 2000 (3) SA 845 (SCA)
- Pepkor Retirement Fund v Financial Services Board 2003 (6) SA 38 (SCA)
- Allaclas Investments (Pty) Ltd v Milnerton Golf Club 2008 (3) SA 134 (SCA)
- Van Der Berg v General Council of the Bar of SA 2007 (2) All SA 499 (SCA)
- Ovation Preservation Pension Fund and Others v Executive Officer of the Financial Services Board 2009 (1) SA 485 (SCA)
- Bidoli v Bidoli and Another  ZASCA 82 (27 May 2011)
- Law Society, Cape v Nel 2012 (4) SA 274 (SCA)
- Law Society, Cape v Randell  ZASCA 36 (28 March 2013)
Areas of Expertise
- Litigation / Dispute Resolution
- Litigation and Arbitration
- Administrative and Constitutional Law
- Professional Discipline Law
- BA LLB – University of Cape Town
- Right of Appearance in the High Court
Appeared in the High Court in the following reported matters
- Nathan v Natal Law Society 1999 (1) SA 706 (C)
- Cape Law Society v Parker 2000 (1) SA 582 (C)
- Ex parte Ndabangaye 2004 (3) SA 415 (C)
Instructing attorney in the following reported High Court matters
- SA Boatyards CC (t/a Hout Bay Boatyard) v Lady Rose (The) 1991 (3) SA 711 (C)
- Ex parte Edwards 1995 (1) SA 451 (C)
- Law Society, Cape of Good Hope v Windvogel 1996 (1) SA 1171 (C)
- Law Society, Cape of Good Hope v Berrangé 2005 (5) SA 160 (C)
- Nel v Law Society, Cape of Good Hope 2010 (6) SA 263 (ECG)
Did you Know?
Stephen is a sailing enthusiast and has competed in the Cape to Rio yacht race.